The door to the pure land opens inward

The door to the pure land opens inward
Bringing our treasures into the world...

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Writing from the Deeper Self

Writing from the deeper Self is an approach I came up with over 20 years ago, when the literary aids to writing didn't help. As I sought to heal much of what had shadowed and veiled me for decades of my life, I became aware that the real energies and insights of healing--most of them nonverbal--was what was turning me into the kind of writer, and human being, I had always secretly dreamed of being, and just as secretly despaired of being.

This approach, then, became, over time, something I have used with other people, taught to other people, helped other people write books by means of. I have a companion website in which I discuss and evoke this approach at length, focused on my work as a book developer. That website is www.essentialwriting.com. If in reading this you are moved to consider working with this approach yourself, you can read about it and contact me there.

But this blog, I sense, is for my own deep writing to have an airing, beyond the book(s) I am writing. Because I believe that meeting ourselves in this deep way heals us, heals the reader, heals the world in a real way. After the recent Jewish High Holy Days, I have fallen back in love with our world in a way and to a depth that surprises me. I watch the news now, and everything is relevant, everything is my story, our story. So what can I do? Which of the zillion spokes of action are mine to engage with, to help us remember our connection, treat each other with care, help each other out of ditches--financial, emotional, physical, spiritual? I think the truest thing I can do is be an artist in the public domain--that is, to be intimate with myself, as writing (and singing) allows me to do; and to do it where you can read it. Maybe I will be graced to speak for you, and with you, too. Maybe we will come to a place of great rejoicing.


So, for today's closing, a quote from Meister Eckhart:
""Every Creature is a Word of God and a Book about God."

May you be blessed, beyond what you can think to ask for.

--Naomi Rose

No comments: